Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Pittsburgh to Holland to Pittsburgh and Back Again

Well last weekend was wonderful at home. And the drive back to Pittsburgh was pretty good on Sunday since the Lions crushed the Chiefs, and the Steelers destroyed the Seahawks. Listening to sports on the radio always makes time go faster.

On Monday we met with Dr. Kareem after a long wait. He was in the operating room in the morning, then he saw a patient or two, and went back into the OR. So about 3:00 p.m. we saw Dr. Kareem. He was very happy with my progress and he agreed to let me come back home. If all keeps going well, I will return to UPMC in four weeks for a follow up visit. In the meantime, I will follow up with Drs. Hanauer and Semrad at UChicago for my crohn's disease management and nutrition needs.

Yesterday, my dad and I drove to Chicago and dropped him off, and then I proceeded to Michigan. It felt wonderful to know I would be home for a while.

Over the next weeks or so, I hope to post some general thoughts about this entire experience. It has been a huge emotional roller coaster with highs and lows. It has also taught me a great deal about the process of a transplant as well as the insurance industry. Plus, I want to offer some thoughts on matters of faith and diversity. I have been served by wonderful people of different faiths as well as those of different cultures. Sometimes it has been easy and other times it hasn't.

Thanks for all of your support.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so thankful you are home again! I pray that you are feeling loved by God and by those of us who have prayed for you. Life is a journey with all the hills and valleys of life. The challenge for me is to trust God and not be afraid.
    See you Sunday!!
    mk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home! So happy you are able to be home with your family! We will continue to pray for all of you. Thanks for sharing this journey through the blog, I look forward to reading your posts, your honesty, strength and honesty is inspiring and refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you had another great weekend with Amy and the kids. Welcome back to Michigan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you're home! Had I known, I would have called you at 4am Monday to help move the HUGE tree limb that fell in our backyard! HAHA! Praying for continued healing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see things are moving in the right direction, Matthew. Enjoy being home with the family. I think of you often.

    ReplyDelete