Saturday, September 10, 2011

Discharge

September 10, 2011

Yesterday I was discharged from UPMC Montefiore around 5:30 p.m. What a great feeling. This whole experience has been a roller coaster and right now it's a high. I hope to keep it that way.

My dad and I ate at a Mediterranean Restaurant last night, got my meds from the local CVS and I slept for 12 hrs without anyone checking my vital signs every 4 hrs. Ahh to escape from the controlling environment of a hospital.

Speaking of a controlling environment, I had a first time hospital experience. On my floor beginning on Wednesday was a state prisoner who had surgery of some sort. I noticed by seeing him walk in shackles down the hall, with his guard and hospital technician. I said to my nurse - did I happen to see someone walking in shackles? She said yes, he was brought in from the State Penal system last night. She shared that usually the prisoners are very well behaved when they are at the hospital and this isn't an unusual experience for them.

Today I missed Ezra's first soccer game - he scored 2 goals! Amy sent me some video to watch. My dad and I received free tickets to the Pitt football game as guests of family house. We are going to check that out for an hour or so to get outside. And tomorrow the Steelers play the Ravens in a huge NFL rivalry game. I hear it will be crazy in the town, so I hope to find a bar to watch the game at for a while to see this first hand.

Monday I have an 8:00 a.m. appointment at the clinic to find out next steps. Keeping my fingers crossed that they will release me some time next week to head back to my family.

What a journey so far. Thanks for sharing in it.

4 comments:

  1. It's so good to know what is happening with you. I check the blog everyday so keep it up! Hooray for Ezra! My Zac didn't score and his team lost 2-1. But he's having fun anyway.
    Enjoy the sports this weekend and REST! Hope you can come home soon.
    Love, mk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matthew,
    So glad to hear that you're out of the hospital! Sounds like your weekend had plenty of football in it:) I hope the meeting this morning went well -- look forward to hearing the results.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear this good news! Thanks for sharing. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

    Edwin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy told us about your blog Sunday at church. We read all of your posts with great interest and we look forward to following your progress as we continue to lift you up in prayer. You are in such good hands, both medically and spiritually and will continue to be sustained by the love of family, friends, and God.

    Blessings,
    Herb & Kate Dershem

    ReplyDelete