Sunday, October 16, 2011

Checkup Time in Pittsburgh & Chicago

Amy and I are getting ready to leave for Pittsburgh. Hopefully, we will be able to leave by noon.

Tomorrow I meet with Dr. Kareem and the UPMC team. It has been four weeks since I came home, and things are going fairly well. I'm not sure if I'm getting the right amount of nutrition from food because I'm still on TPN every other night. I do know that hydrating can be an issue. Learning to drink with a short bowel has been tricky and I'm not sure I've mastered that skill yet. I am getting used to oral hydration solutions that are really salty; and I'm actually liking them!

After my appointment in Pittsburgh, we'll head home and then I'm off to Chicago on Wednesday to see Drs. Hanauer and Semrod to discuss Crohn's medicine and TPN/nutrition. I'm looking forward to seeing them.

If everything goes well, I'm hoping to go back to work part-time. We shall see how it all goes. For those that are still reading, I'll fill you in to let you know how it goes.

3 comments:

  1. thanks for keeping us posted Matthew!!! I feel awful I didn't know Amy would be gone tomorrow :( Please give her my love - Steve and I are constantly praying and thinking about you and your family...I will not even mention football... :) :) Hope everything goes well and you get good information and good news. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking about you guys. Hoping that this is the time that complications don't arise. Maybe you should try drinking with your mouth instead of your short bowel. Might be easier. :). Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update! Hang in there! Send your kids over anytime!!

    ReplyDelete