Tuesday, August 23, 2011

UPMC - First Few Days

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Yesterday, I met with the UPMC team.  And I do mean a team of people. But that was after I gave blood like I never gave before.  My arm stopped giving, my Hickman line stopped giving, and they had to go to a prick on my other arm.  It must have been over a liter of blood.....seriously.

So far the team includes some key people.  There is the Transplant Coordinator - Mary.  I really like her.  Down to earth, can translate medical jargon and a caring person.  There is another coordinator Cindy, the blood takers - Aileen and her friend (I missed her name), Laurie - the Nutrition Physician, and the head of the team - Dr. Kareem, the transplant surgeon. 

After an x-ray, Amy (my wife) and I met with Dr. Kareem and gave him my history.  The big surgeries.....1998, 2001, 2003, 2/2008, 8/2008, 11/2008 and 12/2009.  The problems with strictures and fistulas.  Just an overall picture.  He also wanted to know about us, what we did, if we have children (yes) and why we ventured from Holland, Michigan to Pittsburgh to see him. 

So why did we come to Pittsburgh - that will be another post, but it's because UPMC is the leader in small bowel transplants.

After reviewing the information we shared, Dr. Kareem looked at my eyes and said 'You need to be transplanted because your small bowel is too fragile.  A regular surgery will lead to more of the same - fistulas.  But before we can do that, you need to have a 'clean out' surgery to remove your existing small bowel and clean out any infections.  This will lead to a more likely success than if we were to transplant now.'

Wow....two surgeries rather than one.  A million questions run through your mind when you hear that.  Like when will the first surgery be? How long will I need to recover before I can be 'transplanted'?  How will this impact my family?  How will we pay for the expenses of being at UPMC for longer than expected?  The kids start school in two weeks and Amy starts work then - what will we do?  Work - will I be back for a while before this starts?  It will probably take a while to answer these questions but it is overwhelming to hear that.

And then, we got a call from Mary.  She shared that Dr. Kareem reviewed my CT scan from today and wants to do the clean out surgery next week on Tuesday (8/30/11) since I've developed several more fistulas.  We've known all along that my case was complicated, but this really just confirms it.

Tomorrow we meet with the finance team member, the social worker and the pyschiatrist.  We are most interested in speaking to finance and social work.  We have all kinds of questions regarding insurance coverage and living arrangements.  Hopefully we'll get some answers tomorrow.

11 comments:

  1. Matthew, thanks so much for starting this blog. We are praying for you, Amy, and the kids. Surgery next week already! Please tell Amy to let me know if she needs anything at all. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing, Matthew. I wanted to text Amy today to ask how things were going, but decided to wait because I know that it is exhausting to always have people asking health questions! This blog is great and I can hear your voice in your writing! Know that you are thought about and prayed for often at the Lievense house! I am sure this is a scary, yet hopeful, time for you guys. Sending big love your way...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a HUGE fan of the VanZettens. HUGE.
    So that means not only do I love you guys tons, I am praying.
    Consider me a part of your large team, too.
    Not the medical expertise part but the part that is cheering you and them on.
    Amy and I used to be able to hold our own with toe touches, you know. And knowing her, she still can...sending my love and kicks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matthew and Amy, you are both (and the kids) in our prayers. Best wishes for two successful and speedy surgeries that will get you home quickly.
    Please let LeAnn and I know if you guys could use a meal, a sitter for the kids, house cleaning, etc. I mean it! We want to help during this stressful time. God bless you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matthew, the above messages is from Mark K. I am still trying to figure out all of this social media stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matthew,
    Thanks for starting the blog. It sounds like you have a great team in Pittsburgh! I hope the meetings today go well. My best to you, Amy and the kids.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dirk, Aiden and I have you guys in our thoughts and prayers. Thanks for keeping us updated. I know that Dirk has said many times that you are the strongest person he knows!

    We love you guys,

    Susan, Dirk, and Aiden

    ReplyDelete
  8. VZ,

    Wow. I wish I could offer something more tangible, but know that I am holding you and your family in my heart and hoping that this is the step that will really take you to a place of health you haven't known in a long time. You are so tough. Lots of love from Angola from Rolf and me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Matthew,
    Thank you for starting this blog so we can keep up with you, We join so many others in lifting your whole family up in prayer! You are loved!
    The Willemsteins

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank your for keeping us posted this way... I think of you and your family often... Keep moving ahead, knowing that many family and friends are supporting you all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Matthew thanks for sharing your story with us so that we can better support you and Amy and not have to make things more exhausting by explaining the details over and over. We all think about you and Amy every day and are praying for the best results with this set of surgeries. Peace and Prayers to the whole family...

    ReplyDelete