Saturday, August 27, 2011

Ahh - The Weekend

August 27, 2012

Weekends are great things.  A time for catching up, family activities, relaxation and renewal.  I'm hoping to do all four this weekend.  Especially after a long day yesterday. 

We got up at 5:15 a.m. for a 6:00 arrival at the hospital for an EKG.  Unfortunately, the EKG was not necessary since it is part of the stress test which was scheduled for 1:00 p.m.  And there were no openings prior to then - so we had to wait.  I had a pre-op meeting around 10:00 a.m. and my TB test read. (I'm TB free in case you were interested.)  But most of the day was reading, and hanging out in a hospital because of the mix-up.  Frustrating.

Amy and I arrived in Holland about 10:00 p.m. last night.  The trip took about seven hours even with some stop and go traffic in Pittsburgh.  It felt so good to see our house, and the children.  We had a chance to cuddle 'G' because she was still awake and 'E' was sleeping peacefully. 

This morning was great. The kids loved the University of Pittsburgh t-shirts we purchased for them.  (We support higher education by buying t-shirts of whatever colleges we run into - our way of brainwashing the children that they will go to college.)  Everyone was happy, we were able to tell G and E about my upcoming surgery and what was happening.  Right now the kids will be staying with my parents for a few days and then head to Pittsburgh for a visit through the weekend.  Then Amy, and the kids will return to Holland and start school, while my dad becomes my 'caregiver.'

As for where we will stay in Pittsburgh, the plan is to stay at Family House - McKee for right now until my dad can find a corporate apartment to rent.  It will cost the same as McKee and offer a lot more privacy and room for when the family comes.

In terms of next steps, on Monday I have a venogram scheduled bright and early, and a nurse will call for a surgery time on Tuesday.  The surgery is expected to be long due to my stomach's terrible scar tissue.  The hospitalization will be longer than the typical week following abdominal surgery according to Dr. Kareem.  Assuming there are no complications, we have zero idea how long it will be between clean out surgery and transplant surgery.  Insurance has to approve the transplant, I need to heal some, and a donor needs to be identified.  Our guess is a minimum of two months, but who knows.  This whole experience has taught me to be more patient because so much is beyond my control. 

But right now, I'm enjoying Holland and the family.  Ahh - the weekend.

3 comments:

  1. "The chief purpose of prayer is that God may be glorified in the answer." -R.A. Torrey
    Please know that is an honor to be praying for you guys. Your lives exude praises to Him. Thank you for sharing this journey from college t-shirts (hilarious, by the way) to the waiting for a donor. He is glorified through it all.
    Matthew, your connection with people challenges me. I respect your ability to take the time to KNOW everyone you come in contact with- what a gift.
    Moment by moment...
    Breathe in and out- you guys are loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Alpena greetings to the VZs! Shelly's been keeping us in the loop, but the blog is truly wonderful! Matthew, your stamina and positivism is humbling. All the Parrs have you in our thoughts and prayers. Maddie and Mel loved seeing E and
    G this past week. I hope we see all of you soon! Wishing you the best this Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. May the Good Shepherd carry you in His bosom - yes, His bosom, not just in His arms. May He anoint your head and body with His healing power. You are in my thoughts and prayers many, many times during the day and night. Love to you both, Mary Kay

    ReplyDelete